HYDE DE VILLAINE (HDV) is a winery and vineyard owned by the Hyde family of
Napa Valley and the De VILLAINE family of Burgundy.
HDV wines are sourced exclusively from sustainably farmed Hyde Vineyards in the Carneros AVA where the combination of it's temperature and winds allows for prolonged growing seasons.
The winery, built in 2003, is a few minutes north of downtown Napa.
Its limited production is divided among Chardonnay's, Syrah, Pinot's, Cabernet and Merlot.
This past October, Costa Alcantara was invited to winery's fall release party where we tasted the whole range of its wines while learning characteristics about each from HDV winemakers.
All of them stand out from the wines you would taste in Napa, with my favorite two being:
2014 COMANDANTE CHARDONNAY & 2013 CABERNET SAUVIGNON.
- Region: Napa Valley
- Appellation: Los Carneros
- Vineyard: Hyde Vineyard
- Block: 'Old Wente'
- Age of vines: 35 years
- Geography: Eastern edge of the Los Carneros District
- Exposure: South by southeast
- Soil: Shallow loam over clay hardpan
- Subterranean: Ancient terraces and alluvial fans
- Acreage: .75 acres
- Production: 93 cases
- Harvest dates: September 1st, 2014
- Bottling date: February 2, 2016
- 2015 vintage release: September, 2017
2013 HYDE CABERNET SAUVIGNON
• Region: Napa Valley
• Application: Carneros
• Vineyard: Hyde
• Age of Vine: 13 years
• Geography: Eastern edge of the Carneros
• Exposure: South by southeast
• Soil: Shallow loam over clay hardpan
• Subterranean: Ancient terraces and alluvial fans
• Aging: 22 month barrel
• Varietal: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
• Filtering: Unfined & Unfiltered
• Harvest date: September 27th, 2013
• Bottling: July 29th, 2015
• Cases produced: 46
• Acres : 0.5 acre
• 2014 vintage release: September, 2017